Saturday, November 17, 2018

Today's Naming Ceremony- Coach Lou Silva Drive

Today at 1PM, the road adjacent to the home side of James G. Anderson Field and the corner of Rams Way will be named "Coach Lou Silva Drive".  As you all know, Coach Silva led the Rams for 37 years and was one of the winningest high school coaches in state history, amassing 242 wins during his tenure as head coach at Marshfield.  His teams won five state titles and many of his players went on to play football at the college level.  He was a coach, an athletic director and a teacher who had a tremendous impact on generations of Marshfield student/athletes.

I had the privilege of playing against a Coach Silva-led team, when I was a student at Hingham High School in the early 1980's.  In addition, I coached against him when I was a young educator and I was then able to work with him when I came to Marshfield in 2015.  There are not many folks who can say they had those three opportunities and in that time, I saw how much Coach Silva cared for his players and his program.

Coach Silva had a profound impact on generations of MHS students and moving forward, legions of new MHS Rams will be reminded of his impact on our program when they see this sign.

Congratulations Coach Silva and thank you for your service to our school district.