Beginning January 2016 revisions to the DESE Restraint Regulations, 603 CMR 46.00 are required to be implemented across the commonwealth. The Regulations apply not only at school but also at school-sponsored events and activities, whether or not on school property. Changes include:
* Revised definitions of restraint;
* Addition of the definition of “time-out”;
* New prohibitions on the use of prone restraint;
* Revised/additional reporting requirements after restraint has been used.
The updated School Committee Policy can be found on the MPSD website.
In addition, information for parents that include the following are available in the updated school handbooks:
• Methods of preventing student violence, self-injurious behavior, and suicide including crisis planning and de-escalation of potentially dangerous behaviors among groups of students or individuals.
• Descriptions and explanations of alternatives to physical restraint as well as the school’s method of physical restraint for use in emergency situations.
• Methods for engaging parents in discussions about restraint prevention and use of restraint solely as an emergency procedure.